Welcome! All the content on my old blog is still over there. To visit, click here...

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Pecan-Honey Raw Energy Balls

I recently dug my heels in, shook my fists and declared I was not buying anymore granola bars for the kids. 
It's the snack I feel guilty about packing. Damn it. 
Sometimes they're a little reluctant to try new things.
They're onto my sneaking-good-things-in kind of ways.

So here I am, trying out a bunch of recipes in hopes of finding maybe three or four that I can stockpile and have on hand. 
This one is slightly adapted from "Raw Energy" by Stephanie Tourles.

INGREDIENTS (mostly from Trader Joe's):
2 C. roasted pecan pieces
1 C. dried cranberries (yes, I got the kind with sugar, but you can buy the other)
1/4 C. honey
1/2 C. shredded coconut
2 T. bee pollen (this is usually with the refrigerated probiotics and flax seed oil at health food stores)

You might be tempted to skip the bee pollen. Don't, it's really good. 

DIRECTIONS:
Turn on your oven to its lowest setting. Mine was 170. Even lower would be ideal. Process the pecans and cranberries until well incorporated.  Add coconut, bee pollen, and honey. Process until the mixture is sticky, a little oily, and can easily form a ball in your hand. You can either form them into balls and leave them, or flatten them into little cookies. Place on a cookie sheet (I also used a Silpat). Bake in the oven for 2-3 hours, or longer. They will feel soft when warm but get harder as they sit and cool. After they're cool, store in an airtight container in the fridge. 

Or, you can be like me and just wolf down the ENTIRE batch in one day.
Yep.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a note!